Abundant with history, Wagga RSL Club has been Wagga’s leading social meeting place for over 70 years. From an initial membership of just 381 people, the RSL Club has grown into a first class venue with membership in excess of 25,000 comprising of both service and associated members.
Over its long history the Wagga RSL Club has witnessed many events that have shaped not just this city, but also this nation. After years of investigation and debate Wagga RSL Club was opened on 3 September 1947 as the Returned Sailors Soldiers & Airmen’s Club at 157 Baylis Street.
The name was changed to the Wagga RSL Club on 24 May 1958 at the official opening of the Club on our present site of Goonigul & Dobbs Street.
There have been many physical changes along the way. In 1964-65 the first major renovations took place. From 1967-87 $2.2 million had been spent on improvements to the Club.
2001 saw the construction of the Wagga RSL Motel. The 46 room, luxury style Motel proved to be a great asset to the city of Wagga and a profitable entity for the Wagga RSL Club.
In 2004 the Wagga RSL Club provided a necessary lifeline to the Wagga City Golf Club. Substantial investment was made in upgrading the greens and clubhouse. The Wagga RSL Club ceased its involvement and financial assistance to the Wagga City Golf Club in 2008.
In 2005 major renovations were carried out to our major function areas supplying the latest in modern technology making it the perfect venue for weddings and corporate functions. 2007-2008 saw the $2 million construction of the outside balcony and terrace overlooking the MTC. This also involved upgrades to our entrance and foyer areas. This was a trying time for the Club but well worth the wait once construction was complete.
2009 saw perhaps the Clubs greatest change when the Board of Directors and members agreed to amalgamate with the Wagga Commercial Club. It was an exciting time, as we took the opportunity to rebuild the Commercial Club, investing more than $2 million to turn it into a modern, inviting venue for members and visitors alike. However, ongoing years of losses and an unpredictable economic climate led to the closure of the Commercial Club in 2020.
The Club is committed to offering our members and guests the most stylish and comfortable venues possible and that’s why we are continually updating and upgrading our facilities on offer.
The Wagga RSL Club has changed with the times and will continue to evolve into a contemporary destination, without losing our unique identity, nor any of our traditional values.
Wagga RSL Club offers a large entertainment and leisure complex with a range of members’ amenities, including dining, gaming, sports and an adjoining motel.
Wagga RSL Club
About your club
70 years ago Wagga RSL Club was formed as the RSS&A Club, located in Baylis Street. The name was changed to the RSL Club and officially opened at our present site, Dobbs Street, on Saturday 24 May 1958. Wagga RSL is a state of the art venue featuring a diverse selection of entertainment, dining, accommodation and function facilities.
The Club has seen many changes over the years, perhaps its greatest has been the amalgamation with the Commercial Club Wagga in 2009. This now gives our members and visitors the benefits and facilities of two premier clubs. You pay only $5 for the use of both clubs and all their facilities and services. There is no better value than that!
The exceptional team at Wagga RSL Club and Commercial Club Wagga will ensure you enjoy every visit.
From the modern sophistication of the Casino Lounge to the lively social environment of the Sportsbar, it’s easy to see why the Wagga RSL is a favourite meeting place. Take advantage of the many facilities on offer including free pool & snooker, free wifi, our courtesy bus and the kids club just to name a few.